Portable cots and play yards
Portable cots and play-yards are not as sturdy as standard cots. They're designed for convenient, but not constant, use.
We recommend that when a baby will be left unsupervised, especially overnight, the cot or other sleeping environment complies with an Australian/New Zealand Standard.
- All children’s furniture wears out over time — repair or replace at the first sign of wear.
- Use the mattress supplied by the manufacturer — using a substitute can create a safety hazard.
- Make sure the mattress fits snugly — there must be no more than 25 mm gap between the mattress and the side of the cot.
- Check regularly for holes in the fabric or loose catches — repair or replace at the first sign of wear.
Before you buy a portable cot or play-yard
- Ask the shop assistant to show you how to fold and put it up.
- Make sure the catches lock firmly.
- Check that the mattress fits snugly.
- Does it have a removable base? If so, check that the base can be firmly secured.
- Does it have bars? If so, check that the space between bars is 50 mm-85mm.
- Ask the shop assistant if the product complies with a safety standard.
- Keep the receipt of purchase. Under the Consumer Guarantees Act your purchase must be of acceptable quality, last a reasonable time, and be safe.
Find out more about buying a regular cot.
See Cots for information about buying a regular cot.
How to use your portable cot or play-yard safely
Always check that:
- it's assembled correctly — follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- it's used correctly — follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- any locks and catches are firmly in place
- the base can't move apart or fall down
- the mattress fits snugly.
Reporting an issue with a portable cot or play-yard
If you have a safety problem or concern with a portable cot or play-yard, let us know.
Under the Consumer Guarantees Act you can get a refund, replacement or compensation if goods are unsafe. The Consumer Protection website has more information about what to do when you have a problem with goods.