Report an unsafe product
If you're injured by a product, or have a near miss, please take the time to report it to us, and also to the supplier or manufacturer.
Notes about this form
- We're grateful for information from the public. Reports about businesses or individuals are important to us, as they help us understand what issues cause the most harm to New Zealand consumers and where best to direct our resources.
- Please provide as much detail as possible. We assess every complaint that falls within our product safety remit — this helps us prioritise and assign resource to the issues that pose the greatest risk.
- However, we're not a complaint handling body. This means we can't investigate every report made to us. We need to prioritise what we investigate to ensure that we're using our resources efficiently.
- We're also not a dispute resolution service. You may need to take your own action if you want your individual issue to be resolved — such as getting your money back.
- For these reasons, and in order to make best use of our limited resources, Trading Standards usually doesn't enter into correspondence about our decisions as to whether or not we intend to take further action. However we may contact you if we need more information.
- We don't investigate product safety issues relating to food, medicines, energy or vehicles. See What we do and don't do, and who can help for more information. If we refer your complaint to another agency, we'll let you know so that you can follow up with them.
- You won't be able to submit this form until you have completed the required fields (indicated by *).
- This form can only be used by people who live in New Zealand.